This is my list of fifty classic books I will be reading to take on the challenge sponsored by The Classics Club.
Currently Reading: “One Of Ours” by Willa Cather.
Here are the club’s ground rules:
- Choose fifty classic books. I’ve chosen fifty novels.
- Post the list on your blog. My list is below.
- Choose a reading-completion goal date up to five years in the future. My date is November 1, 2023.
Write a review of each book when finished reading it and post it on your blog. Submit each book review to The Classics Club website.
- I’ve not followed through on writing reviews. I’ve found that I disliked it so much that I can’t bring myself to work on a review. I will continue with the reading.
- One’s list can be fluid – books can be added or removed.
My List Completion Date: December 1, 2023
(Completed books are in blue.)
- Achebe, Chinua: Things Fall Apart June 22, 2020
- Baldwin, James: Go Tell it on the Mountain
- Bolano, Roberto: The Savage Detectives
- Bradbury, Ray: Fahrenheit 451
- Camus, Albert: The Plague
Chekov, Anton: Stories
- Conrad Joseph: Lord Jim
- De Balzac, Honore: Pere Goriot
- DeLillo, Don: White Noise February 25, 2019
- Dickens, Charles: Our Mutual Friend August 18, 2020
- Dostoevsky, Fyodor: Crime and Punishment
- Eco, Umberto: The Name of the Rose
- Ellison, Ralph: The Invisible Man
- George Elliot, Middlemarch
- Flaubert, Gustav: Madame Bovary
- Ford, Ford Madox: The Good Soldier
- Fowles, John: The Collector, The French Lieutenant’s Woman
- Gaskell, Elizabeth: North and South
- Gogol, Nikolai: Dead Souls
- Greene, Graham: The Power and the Glory
- Hansberry, Lorraine: A Raisin in the Sun
- Hardy, Thomas: The Mayor of Casterbridge
- Heller, Joseph: Catch-22
- Hemingway, Ernest: A Farewell To Arms. July 14, 2020
- Hurston, Zora Neale: Their Eyes Were Watching God October 30, 2018
- Ishiguro, Kazuo: The Remains of the Day May 10, 2019
- Knowles, John: A Separate Peace December 18, 2018
- Lamb, Wally: I Know This Much Is True
Laxness, Halldór: Independent People
- Lermontov, Mikhail: A Hero of Our Time
- McCullers, Carson: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
- Moberg, Vilhelm: The Emigrants
- Morrison, Toni: The Song Of Solomon
- Murakami, Haruki: Norwegian Wood
- Nabokov, Vladimir: Pale Fire
- Naipaul, VS: A Bend in the River July 28, 2020
- O’Connor, Flannery: A Good Man is Hard to Find
- Pamuk, Orhan: My Name is Red
- Pasternak, Boris: Doctor Zhivago
- Pushkin, Alexander: Eugene Onegin
- Remarque, Erich Maria: All Quiet On the Western Front September, 06, 2020
- Rhys, Jean: Wide Sargasso Sea
- Roth, Joseph: The Radetsky March February 05, 2019
- Roth, Philip, American Pastoral
- José Saramago, Blindness
- Solzhenitsyn, Alexander: One Day In the Life Of Ivan Denisovich. July 03, 2020
- Steinbeck, John: East of Eden
Stendhal: The Charterhouse of Parma
- Tan, Amy: The Joy Luck Club
- Thackeray, William Makepeace, Vanity Fair
- Tolstoy, Leo: Anna Karenina
- Trollope, Anthony: The Way We Live Now
- Turgenev, Ivan: Fathers and Sons
- Wright, Richard: Native Son
- Morante, Elsa: History