I am starting two new challenges: to cover the segment of the North Country National Scenic Trail in Wisconsin and to read fifty classic books over the next five years.
North Country National Scenic Trail
I’m not sure I’ll be able to complete this challenge given my age and the state of my health. I intend to have fun trying. I used the verb “cover” in the first paragraph above because some of the trail follows roads so I’ll be able to drive. The rest I’ll have to hike – definitely a challenge since I can manage only a mile or two at a time.
The North Country Trail Association describes the trail as “the longest in the National Trails System, stretching 4,600 miles over 7 states from the middle of North Dakota to the Vermont border of New York. The stretch in Wisconsin is 207 miles and runs from the Minnesota – Wisconsin border near Superior, Wisconsin to where the Wisconsin – Michigan border meets Lake Superior.
Fifty Classic Books
The Classics Club sponsors this challenge that I fully expect to complete.
Here are the club’s ground rules:
- Choose fifty classic books. I’ve chosen fifty novels.
- Post the list on your blog. My list is here.
- Choose a reading-completion goal date up to five years in the future. My date is November 1, 2023.
- Write a review of each book when finished reading it and post it on your blog.
- Submit each book review to The Classics Club website.
I haven’t officially started yet. I have to finish a couple of the books I’m currently reading. I’ll start in a couple of weeks with Alfred Döblin’s Berlin Alexanderplatz.